Assists in the provision of age appropriate patient care, which is appropriate restorative of life and well-being under the supervision of a registered nurse.
RESPONSIBILITIES (ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS)
1. Assists with basic patient care related tasks such as ambulating patient, preparing patients for meals, feeding patients, removing food trays, grooming tasks and making beds, assisting with patient dismissal/transfers including packing up belonging, dresses patient, and escorts patient under the guidance and delegation of the RN. Assists with post-mortem care.
2. Obtains and records vital signs – temperature, blood pressure, pulse, respirations, oximetry and pain score; height and weight, intake and output; records the information accurately, and in a timely manner, with notification to nurse of abnormal or alterations from baseline in collected data.
3. Assist with patient treatments such as reposition and pre-operative shower prep. Empties all drains and collection bags (except intracranial pressure monitoring drains and chest tubes) and records activities.
4. Assists with and documents and records procedures – maintain oxygen rates; performs finger stick for blood glucose monitoring; ambulates patients while maintaining tubes, performs specimen collection for stool, urine, and clean catch 24 urines.
5. Transports patients, specimens, supplies and equipment to the correct service area in a safe manner.
6. Maintains knowledge and demonstrates competence in the use of patient equipment; i.e. manual and automatic blood pressure machines, pulse oximetry, bladder scanner, restraints, electronic scales, gait belts, intermittent pneumatic compression stockings (SCD), heating pads, ice bags, wall suction set up and Yankeur suction, placement of telemetry, mechanical lifts, bed scales, bed and chair alarms.
7. Assists RN in hourly rounding; responds to call lights to determine patient need and takes appropriate actions to meet patient need.
8. Performs other duties as needed and/or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Pending completion of Nursing Degree
All post high school education must have been obtained from a recognized College or University. Other majors or courses of study will be considered as meeting these requirements, as long as they are closely related to the essential functions of the position.